This page answers some common questions about membership and donating to Strong Towns. Please visit this page to become a member or to donate.
1. What does it mean to become a member of Strong Towns? Is that different from simply making a donation?
By becoming a member of Strong Towns, you are making a statement about your interest in this organization and your support of its mission. All of our articles, videos and podcasts are free to access and share. We will never charge you for that. By becoming a member, you indicate that you value our work and wish to help us continue to spread this message.
Everyone who makes a donation is invited to become a member. Membership does not obligate you to attend meetings, volunteer or even receive our emails if you don't want to. If you would like to make an additional donation, on top of your annual or monthly membership, we welcome you to do so by visiting this page.
2. How is Strong Towns supported?
Strong Towns is supported through a combination of individual donations, event fees, foundations and corporate sponsors.
- 75% of our funding comes from membership dues and committed donors, as well as speaking fees for events. That makes up our general operating budget, supporting the creation of our website content, our events and our other core programs.
- 25% of our funding comes from foundations and corporate sponsors. We use this for “social venture capital” to test and refine new ideas.
3. What will my membership contribution support?
Your contribution will go to support the day to day activities of this organization: paying for our core programs, web platforms and databases, and outreach efforts. Your donation funds ideas that have been proven to work with rigorous data analysis. You membership provides the foundation for growing the Strong Towns movement. If you would like to support our new ventures as a major donor, please visit this page.
4. Is my contribution tax-deductible?
Yes. Strong Towns is a registered 501(c)3 nonprofit. You will receive annual or monthly emails as proof of your tax deductible donation. Donations are tax-deductible in the U.S. only, at this point.
5. Is it safe and secure for me to donate online to Strong Towns?
Yes. As a Level 1 Payment Card Industry (PCI) certified company; our payment processor, iATS Payments, ensures all transactions are handled with the highest industry standards in security and confidentiality. Payment information is transmitted via Transport Layer Security (TLS). The TLS protocol is the new industry standard method for creating an encrypted, secure connection between your web browser and a web server.
6. My organization/foundation/company would like to make a donation to Strong Towns. How would we go about doing that?
Please visit this page to learn about organizational sponsorship of Strong Towns.
7. Whom do I contact if I have a problem or question about making an online donation?
Please contact Member Support or call 844-218-1681.
8. Can I make a donation by mail or offline?
Yes, we are happy to take donations by mail. Simply send a check to:
1511 Northern Pacific Rd #206
Brainerd, MN 56401
9. Can I make a recurring online donation?
Yes. You will be prompted to choose "annual" or "recurring" when you make your donation on this page.
10. How do I cancel my recurring online donation?
Contact member support and we will promptly help you cancel your recurring donation.
11. Does Strong Towns have a strategic plan?
Yes. We invite you to view the plan here.
12. My company matches my gifts to 501(c)(3) organizations. Is Strong Towns eligible to receive this type of match?
Yes, the IRS recognizes Strong Towns as a public charity under section 501(c)(3) of the tax code. Thanks for asking!
(Top photo by NACTO)