Thank you to everyone who submitted to the Strong Towns photo contest. We received many excellent photos. In the end, we made our choice based on which photo best captured the Strong Towns spirit and which worked best in our website platform, in addition to being seasonal.
The winner this month is Melinda Nunley, whose photo, taken in Frankfort, KY, is displayed at the top of this post. Melina told us a bit about her background and her town:
I have deep roots in Kentucky. I was born in Campbellsville and spent most of my formative years in the beautiful Appalachian Mountains located in Harlan County before landing in the heart of the Bluegrass. I now call the capital city of Kentucky home. I enjoy being a part of this small town and the many gems it holds. As a Realtor with Coldwell Banker Preferred Realty, Inc., I enjoy sharing and working with others who also have chosen to call this capital city and river town home. I look forward to working with others in the community to create a stronger town for future generations. Thank you for allowing me to share a bit of what I am blessed to see every day in my hometown- people helping people- with Strong Towns.
Melinda was also kind enough to describe the specific scene that the photo depicts:
As the snow continued to fall on January 22, 2016, our caring people were out clearing roads, sidewalks and streets to help others stay safe. In the quiet and chill of the snow falling, I found it delightful to see this gentleman smile and tell me he was clearing the sidewalk area to prevent someone from falling on the snow or ice. The Old Capitol sits at the end of St. Clair Street giving a glimpse of the strong history of our town.
Thank you, Melinda!
Our February Photo Contest is Now Open
We invite you to submit to our monthly photo contest once again.
Photos can be anything Strong Towns-related: interesting architecture, neighborhood gatherings, bikes, parks, cityscapes etc. Even ugly stroads or mall parking lots have their place on this site. We prefer that pictures be taken in North America and that they feature at least one person in them, but we are open to any high quality photography.
Winners will be notified by the end of the month. We'll credit them on our website, send them some Strong Towns swag and feature them in a website post if they wish.
HERE ARE THE KEY GUIDELINES:
- Please submit high resolution photos only. Images 1500-2500 px wide are ideal.
- Photos must be in .jpg or .png format.
- Photos must be taken by you, and you must have permission to share them. (This is especially important if there are human subjects in the photos.)
- Limit: 3 submissions per person (although you can feel free to submit 3 new photos each month).
- Send your submissions in one email, preferably with a Dropbox link, to email@example.com with the subject line: "Photo Contest February 2016." Please include your name and the location where the photograph was taken in your email.
- By submitting your photograph, you agree to give Strong Towns permission to use this photo in any of our online or print materials. (We will always credit you if we use your photo.)
THE DEADLINE FOR February's CONTEST IS February 26.
Happy Snaps! If you have any questions about the contest please leave a comment on this post.