Rachel's guest this week is Strong Towns member and occasional writer, Alex Baca. Alex just published an article on Strong Towns called "Homeownership for whom?" about the flawed model of homeownership as a platform for building household wealth — and who is excluded by that model. Alex and Rachel discuss the position of homeownership in American culture and the economy. They also chat about Alex's thoughts on bikeshare and recent updates in the bikeshare world like dockless bikes and scooters.
Mentioned in this podcast:
- Homeownership for whom? by Alex Baca
- Gerontopoly: Homeownership, Wealth and Age by Joe Cortright
- Strong Towns events in Peoria, IL
- What Cities Need to Understand About Bikeshare Now by Alex Baca (on CityLab)
- Here’s What You Can Read If You’d Like to Think About Cities In Exactly The Way That I Do — an extended book list by Alex Baca
- Can't Stop Won't Stop: A History of the Hip-Hop Generation
- Follow Alex on Twitter @alexbaca.
(Top photo by Paul Wasneski)