While Chuck is enjoying the warm weather in Flordia, we're doing a little of the same here. If only Minnesota had a Disney World! This is my inaugural authorship of the Friday News Digest. It's an abbreviated version since I read no where near as many articles in a week as the regular author of the FND does. Feel free to share interesting things you've read over the past week in the comment section.
Here goes nothing, enjoy the shortened version of this weeks news:
- Planning geeks collectively rejoiced when they heard the news that SimCity is making a triumphant return in 2013. Let's hope that we see Strong Towns sprouting up all across the virutal landscape.
- Looking for a fun way to spruce up your downtown? Why not try some unconventional public furniture? My personal favorite is the MUU bike table- both functional and fashionable.
- We've all heard of the bike sharing programs in cities across the country but how about a scooter sharing system? You could sure cover some serious ground scooting around with those.
- The cool, hip and always innovative Apple Inc., has decided to build a new mega-campus. Unfortunately, it doesn't vibe with the Strong Towns paradigm.
- Dropping a 40-unit condo building into the middle of a quaint, residential neighborhood can often be a difficult thing to do, even if it does promote "smart growth." Sometimes these things just need to develop organically.
- Happy St. Patrick's Day Everyone, enjoy the weekend!
Planning to be in L.A. for the APA conference in April? Live in the Anaheim area? Are you a fan of Strong Towns and Walt Disney? As a fundraiser for Strong Towns, we are providing a special opportunity for six people to get a "planner's tour" of Disneyland. See the Happiest Place on Earth through the eyes of Strong Towns. Click here for more information and to register. This is going to be a really fun time.