The excitement this week is palpable. All across the country, Strong Towns enthusiasts have been learning about fantastic communities that are doing their best to grow more financially resilient as part of our third annual Strongest Town Contest. These communities have a lot in common: they boast exciting downtowns, actively engaged residents, successful local businesses, diverse transportation options and more. Some are college towns. Others are known for their natural beauty. Still others are finding their identity in the twenty-first century.
We received over 10,000 votes in our contest for towns ranging from Tupelo, Mississippi to San Bruno, California. Here's how the voting broke down in this round:
- Twin Falls, ID (66%) vs. San Bruno, CA (34%)
- Pensacola, FL (95%) vs. Palmetto Bay, FL (5%)
- Kent, OH (56%) vs. San Marcos, TX (44%)
- Niagara Falls, NY (80%) vs. Westmont, IL (20%)
- Muskegon, MI (61%) vs. Marshall, MI (39%)
- Greenville, SC (69%) vs. Brewton, AL (31%)
- Morelia, Mexico (57%) vs. Mishawaka, IN (43%)
- Annapolis, MI (69%) vs. Tupelo, MS (31%)
Congratulations to the eight towns advancing to the next round and thank you to everyone who has participated so far! Check back in with us next week on Tuesday (March 13) to see photos from the eight remaining towns and to vote in the next match-ups.
Here's our updated bracket: